This county is formed of the Islands
of Martha's Vineyard
These islands lie off and south of Barnstable County
and Buzzard's Bay
, and contain about one hundred and twenty square miles.
They constitute five townships, as follows: Edgartown
, Gay Head
, and Tisbury
The town of Gay Head
was incorporated in 1870, from a part of Chilmark
; and therefore its war record is included in that of the mother-town.
The shire town of the county is Edgartown
The population of Dukes County
in 1860 was 4,403; in 1865, 4,200, being a decrease in five years of 203.
The population in 1870 was 3,787, which is a further decrease in five years of 413.
The valuation of the county in 1860 was $2,908,194; in 1865, $2,183,976, which is a decrease in five years of $724,218.
By the returns made by the selectmen of the several towns in 1866, the number of men furnished in the entire county for the war was 240, which is only about half of the real number which the county furnished for the army and navy during the war. It filled its quota on every call made by the President
, and at the end had a surplus of forty-seven men over and above all demands.
The expenses of the towns on account of the war, exclusive of State aid, were $51,222.92. The amount raised and paid for State aid to soldiers' families during the war, and afterwards refunded by the Commonwealth
, was $7,561.97. Total amount, $58,784.89.
The following is the record of each town in the county:—
Incorporated Oct. 30, 1714.
Population in 1860, 654; in 1865, 547.
Valuation in 1860, $598,863; in 1865, $350,801.