This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 1865. At the annual meeting held on the 6th of March, it was voted ‘to continue the payment of State aid to the families of volunteers the same as heretofore.’ According to the return made by the selectmen in 1866, Andover furnished three hundred and eighty-four men for the war, which we believe to be at least one hundred less than the number really furnished and credited, as the town filled its quota upon every call of the President for men, and at the close of the war had a surplus of nineteen over and above all demands. Twenty were commissioned officers. The whole amount of money appropriated and expended by the town on account of the war, exclusive of State aid, was thirty thousand six hundred and fifty dollars ($30,650.00). The amount of money raised and expended by the town during the years of the war for aid to the families of soldiers, and which was afterwards repaid by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, $2,989.86; in 1862, $9,402.26; in 1863, $11,133.59; in 1864, $12,200.00; in 1865, $7,000.00. Total amount, $42,725.11. The ladies of Andover were incessant in their good patriotic works for the soldiers. When the Andover company left home for the front, they furnished them with under-clothing to the value of $225, and furnished them with a Christmas dinner in 1861. The ladies of the ‘Old South Society,’ and the ‘Ladies' Aid Society,’ furnished at various times hospital and sanitary stores, clothing, and money, to the value of nearly twenty-five hundred dollars, exclusive of their own labor.
John Pickett, John Meacom, Robert S. Foster, Charles Moulton, Zachariah Cole; in 1862, John Meacom, John Pickett, Robert S. Foster, Augustus Moulton, Joseph Wilson; in 1863, John Meacom, Robert S. Foster, Joseph Wilson, John Ober, William G. Woodberry; in 1864, Robert S. Foster, Joseph Wilson, Lawson Walker, James Hill,
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.