This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 The selectmen in 1861, and all through the war, were O. B. Tenney, Sherman Nelson, George W. Sanborn. The town-clerk for the same period was Charles E. Jewett. The town-treasurer in 1861 and 1862 was Lewis H. Bateman; in 1863, William H. Harriman; in 1864 and 1865, George H. Carleton. 1861. The first legal town-meeting, to consider matters relating to the war, was held April 30th, at which it was voted to appropriate five thousand dollars ‘for the benefit of such of the citizens as may volunteer in the service of their country during the ensuing years, and their families.’ A committee of one from each school district was appointed ‘to ascertain what supplies may be needed’ by the volunteers or their families, and all bills approved by the committee were to be paid by the selectmen. The committee were also directed to aid in the formation, equipment, and drill of a military company in the town. October 2d, The committee reported they had expended for uniforms, equipments, and in aid to families of volunteers, eleven hundred dollars. 1862. July 17th, Voted, to pay to residents of the town a bounty of one hundred dollars, who shall enlist for three years in the military service. The treasurer was authorized to borrow money to pay the same. August 9th, The bounty was raised to one hundred and fifty dollars, and those who had already enlisted were to receive an additional fifty dollars. The vote restricting the enlistments to citizens of the town was reconsidered, and the selectmen were authorized to receive recruits from other places. Voted, to offer a reward of ten dollars for the arrest of any person liable to be drafted ‘who shall absent himself from the State before such draft is made.’ August 16th, Voted, to pay a bounty of two hundred and fifty dollars for volunteers for nine months service; and that the selectmen be limited in recruiting to eight days from date to residents of the town exclusively, after that to any one who may legally be counted to the quota of Georgetown. The treasurer was authorized to borrow money. John G. Barnes, Solomon Nelson, and John P. Bradstreet were appointed ‘to confer with other towns in regard to forming a company.’
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.