slippers, 1,666 ‘comfort-bags,’ 1,120 packages of farina and maizena, 1,359 boxes of condensed milk, cocoa, and broma, 238 pounds of tea and sugar, 2,031 bottles of wine, 287 bottles of Cologne water, &c. At the end of the war the society had on hand an unexpended balance of upwards of fifteen hundred dollars. On the 6th of February, 1865, the city council passed the following very appropriate resolution:—
Resolved, That the thanks of the city council, in behalf of the city, be, and are hereby, tendered to the ladies of Newburyport for the many blessings which through their patient and protracted exertions have gladdened many a heart, and bestowed many comforts to the soldiers in the field as well as to those wounded and sick in the several hospitals.In answer to an appeal made by Rev. Dr. Elliot, of St. Louis, Mo., a knitting society was formed Oct. 3, 1861; and in twelve days fifty blankets and two hundred pairs of socks were sent by the ladies to the reverend gentlemen for the loyal soldiers of the West.
James C. Carleton, Charles F. Johnson, Nathaniel Gage; in 1862, J. Osgood Loring, Charles F. Johnson, Nathaniel Page; in 1863 and 1864, James C. Carleton, Charles F. Johnson, Daniel Carleton; in 1865, Charles F. Johnson, Nathaniel Gage, Benjamin P. Saunders. The town-clerk and town-treasurer in 1861, 1862, and 1863, was Hiram Berry; in 1864 and 1865, Isaac C. Sargent. 1861. May 6th, The town voted to appropriate five thousand dollars to uniform and equip a company of volunteers, and to provide aid for their families. The men were to receive fifty cents a day while drilling, and ten dollars a month from date of muster in until discharged.1 George Davis, Moses T. Stevens, and J. Osgood Loring were chosen to act with the selectmen