In 1861, Stephen P. Webb, mayor; John Dwyer, Francis Brown, John B. Fisk, Dana Z. Smith, Daniel Stoddard, Charles Upton, aldermen. In 1862, Stephen P. Webb, mayor; Stephen A. Chase, John B. Fisk, Francis W. Pickman, Franklin T. Sanborn, Dana Z. Smith, Daniel Stoddard, aldermen. In 1863, Stephen G. Wheatland, mayor; George R. Chapman, John B. Fisk, Daniel H. Mansfield, Francis W. Pickman, Franklin T. Sanborn, John Webster, aldermen. In 1864, Stephen G. Wheatland, mayor; John Barlow, George R. Chapman, Daniel H. Mansfield, Nathaniel G. Symonds, John Webster, Peter Silver, aldermen. In 1865, Joseph B. T. Osgood, mayor; John Barlow, George R. Chapman, Henry M. Brooks, Abner C. Goodell, Jr., Daniel H. Mansfield, Simon Stodder, aldermen. The city-clerk in 1861 and 1862 was Joseph Cloutman, Jr.; in 1863, 1864, and 1865, Stephen P. Webb. The citytreas-urer during all of these years was Charles E. Symonds. 1861. The first vote passed by the city council, having relation to the war, was on the 19th of April, when it was—
Ordered, That the sum of fifteen thousand dollars be, and hereby is, appropriated for the benefit of the families of those of our fellowciti-zens who have so nobly and promptly responded, or may hereafter respond, to the call of their country; and that the same be expended under the direction of a Joint Special Committee.Salem had three companies of volunteer militia, which entered the military service under the first call of the President for troops for three months service in April, 1861; namely, companies A and H in the Fifth Regiment, and Company I in the Eighth Regiment. On the 22d of April the city council passed the following—
Ordered, That the Joint Special Committee on Relief for Families, appointed at the last meeting of the city council, be authorized to designate and procure some suitable place as a barrack and parade-ground in our harbor, or elsewhere within the limits of the city, for such volunteer companies as have been or may be enlisted in this city for service under the General Government; and their attention is directed to the island, with a house already upon it suitable for that purpose.