This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
‘  twenty-five dollars to be refunded to John E. Taylor,1 in all five hundred dollars.’ 1865. January 31st, The selectmen were authorized to enlist men to fill the quota of the town, ‘when it is ascertained what the quota of the town is, and they are to be one-year men.’ May 29th, ‘Voted, to raise money sufficient to pay the money borrowed for recruiting, the interest on the same, and other expenses of recruiting, twelve hundred and sixty-two dollars and fifty-seven cents.’ Voted, ‘to pay James H. Sheldon three hundred dollars to reimburse him in part for money paid for a substitute.’ Monroe furnished about twenty men for the war, or the exact number required of it to fill its contingent on every call for men made by the President during the Rebellion. None were commissioned officers. The amount of money appropriated and expended by the town on account of the war, exclusive of State aid, was three thousand six hundred and twenty-eight dollars and thirteen cents ($3,628.13). The amount of money raised and expended by the town for the payment of State aid to the families of soldiers during the years of the war, and afterwards repaid by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, 00; in 1862, $56.00; in 1863, $228.00; in 1864, $72.00; in 1865, $51.00. Total amount, $407.00. The ladies of Monroe ‘furnished various articles for the soldiers, amounting in value to perhaps forty dollars.’
R. M. Oakman, Richard Clapp, E. F. Gunn; in 1864, Richard Clapp, W. W. Thayer, Seymour Rockwell; in 1865, Richard Clapp, R. N. Oakman, Benjamin Fay. The town-clerk and town-treasurer during all the years of the war was C. P. Wright.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.