previous next

[249] the corner-stone of the new edifice laid on October 4, 1874. On January 28, 1883, the entire structure was completed and dedicatory services held.

This is the ‘Church of the Sacred Heart,’ the largest and handsomest Catholic church in the city, of the decorated Gothic style, seventy-five by one hundred and fifty feet in dimension, built of blue slate with trimmings of granite. The nave is sixty-five feet high, and the spire one hundred and eighty feet. There is a seating capacity of eighteen hundred, and the beautiful and artistic Gothic altar of Caen stone was especially modeled in London by eminent sculptors. It stands fifty feet in height, and contains four groups of figures, representing the life of the Saviour, sculptured in almost human size. This parish numbers between twelve and fifteen thousand souls. Father O'Brien is still the pastor in charge, and is assisted by five curates.


The Parish of St. Peter's Church.

As before stated, in the year 1847 the Rev. Manasses P. Dougherty, while pastor of the parish of the Church of St. John, in East Cambridge, recognizing the necessity of church facilities for those of his flock who were settled in the northern part of the city, secured a site upon Concord Avenue, and commenced the erection of a church, to be called after St. Peter. This building had progressed so rapidly that in November, 1848, Father Dougherty gave up his charge of the parish of St. John's for the parish set off from it, and in December of that year services were held in his new church, which was consecrated in 1849. Father Dougherty continued as pastor of this parish until his death in July, 1877. He was greatly esteemed in and beyond his parish for his generosity and piety.

The Rev. James E. O'Brien was appointed to take charge in the same month as the decease of Father Dougherty, and he remained in charge until death removed him in July, 1888, when he was followed by the present pastor, the Rev. John Flatley, who is assisted by Fathers Doody and Flaherty as curates. Father Flatley has been most assiduous in his pastoral duties, and is held in high esteem and veneration. Through his constant efforts and encouragement three new parishes have been created within the past six years out of the territory of St. Peter's. They are known as St. John's, on Rindge Avenue, North Cambridge; Notre Dame de Pitie, the French

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Sort places alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a place to search for it in this document.
St. Peter (Minnesota, United States) (2)
St. Peter's church (United Kingdom) (1)
Caen (France) (1)

Download Pleiades ancient places geospacial dataset for this text.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Manasses P. Dougherty (4)
John Flatley (2)
Dame Pitie (1)
John O'Brien (1)
James E. O'Brien (1)
Flaherty (1)
Doody (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
July, 1888 AD (1)
January 28th, 1883 AD (1)
July, 1877 AD (1)
October 4th, 1874 AD (1)
1849 AD (1)
November, 1848 AD (1)
1847 AD (1)
December (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: