On arriving at Baltimore the men went into camp on the estate of the ConfederateGeneral J. E. B. Stuart on West Baltimore Street, the camp bearing the name of Camp Hale.
Here drill was resumed in earnest, battery, piece and sabre drill and target practise.
A letter to the Boston Journal bearing the date August 18, 1861 gives the following picture of camp life.
Camp Hale, Baltimore, August 18, 1861. To the Editor of the Boston Journal:
We came through Baltimore on the 12th, on our way from Camp Adams to this encampment, which is situated on West Baltimore Street, is a half-mile outside of the city, and in General Stuart's Park, which is a beautiful place for an encampment, though as a park it is pretty well used up. General Stuart is a general in the rebel army, and at this place there were seized five hundred stand of arms.
We have plenty of fruit here, but do not eat much.
The Baltimoreans use us well and treat us as if we were their own citizens, but this may be owing somewhat to our guns.
There are a good many secessionists here, but they keep very quiet and we do not have much to say to them.
Coming through Baltimore we enlivened the streets with ‘Glory Hallelujah,’ and some savage faces were shown to us, but the sight of our seven-shooters kept them very quiet.
We have just returned from bathing, and for this purpose we go within one mile of the Relay House, the roads being lined with thick woods.
Houses are very scarce outside of the city, and very old and small, looking like huts.
On Saturday we marched to the Pratt Street depot for the purpose of receiving and escorting two of our Massachusetts regiments, but they did not arrive, thus disappointing us and themselves, we have no doubt.
The captain has just learned that some arms are stored in Pratt Street, and has ordered
The Rumford Press, Concord, N. H., 1912.
Tufts University provided support for entering this text.
An XML version of this text is available for download,
with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted
changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.