than himself looked up to him. He was taught writing before entering the Latin School, by a well-known master of the art, Elmer Valentine
, whose rooms were at 3 Cornhill Square, now known as Joy's Building.
From him, Feb. 17, 1821, he received a merit-card, handsomely executed in pen-and-ink.
The father, deeming it necessary to prepare his son as soon as might be to earn his livelihood and assist in the support of the family, intended to have him taught in the English
branches only, and not in Latin and Greek
The boy, however, with a kind of instinct for classical culture, bought, with some coppers he had saved, a Latin Grammar
and ‘Liber Primus
’ of an older boy, who had no further use for them.
He studied them privately out of school, and one morning surprised his father by appearing with the books, and showing his ability to recite from them.
His father, impressed perhaps by this incident, decided to put him in the classical course provided by the public schools.1
Charles, having passed the required examination, was admitted with his next younger brother, Albert, as a member of the Boston Latin School, near the close of August, 1821.
This public school, and the private academies at Exeter, N. H.
, and Andover, Mass.
, have for a long time maintained a high repute both as to quality of instruction and lists of pupils eminent in all professions.2
The Latin School was, from 1821-26, under the charge of Benjamin A. Gould
as head-master, and Jonathan Greely Stevenson
and Frederick P. Leverett
, his assistants.
, the necrologist of Harvard College, and for many years connected with the ‘Boston Advertiser,’ was an usher.
, the author of an excellent Latin Lexicon, was the teacher whose thorough drill added much to the character of the school at that time.
Charles continued his attendance at Mr. Valentine
's writing school until December of the next year.3
The course at the Latin School was then one of five years, and the school was divided into five classes, according to the years of study.
Each class was distributed into three divisions, generally