resorted to by persons of humble life, like the accused; and contended, therefore, that his client's language should be construed as intending only an amicable meeting.
Early in November Hillard
became associated as partners, and rented two adjoining rooms on the second floor of the Brooks Building
, then recently erected, being Number 4 Court Street, at the corner of Washington Street,—the site of the present Sears Building.
occupied the room next to the hall, and Hillard
the rear one.
He kept one or the other for about twenty years, so long as he remained at the bar.
Number 4 Court Street gathered at this period several lawyers, since well known, and some who were destined to a permanent fame.
On the same floor with Sumner
were Theophilus Parsons
, Rufus Choate
and Peleg W. Chandler
; and later John A. Andrew
, afterwards Governor
of the Commonwealth
On the third floor were Horace Mann
, Edward G. Loring
, and Luther S. Gushing
left the building, in 1856, having previously removed to another room, he wrote in verse a graceful ‘Farewell to Number Four
,’ which called forth some happy rejoinders.1
rented together a single lodging-room on the third floor of the Brooks Building
took his meals at a restaurant—Kenfield's, on Wilson's Lane.
Some two years later he changed his lodgings to the Albion
, and dined there or at the Tremont.
The culture and friendliness of Hillard
attracted many callers,--not only the other tenants of Number 4, but, besides them, Judge Story
, Park Benjamin
, and George Bancroft
deposited his ‘writing-desk, table, and chair’ in the office, calling it ‘our
Here, when he came to the city, he usually called upon his two friends, and met the clients whom he served while he was professor.
Whether many or few suitors came to the young attorneys, they at least had rare enjoyment in their fellowships.3
In Feb., 1835, Sumner
defended successfully, in the Municipal Court
, a party indicted for a libel.
Failing on his law-points,— an alleged defect in the indictment and want of jurisdiction in