A favorite pastor of the church, who served in that capacity for ten years, was Rev. Charles A. Skinner
He was born in Brownville, Jefferson county, N. Y.
, on April 19, 1824, but before he was a year old his parents moved to Langdon, N. H.
, and then shortly afterward to Cavendish, Vt.
, and Mr. Skinner
never saw his birthplace again until he was called there to his first pastorate many years later.
When he was still a mere boy, he left home and went to live at his grandfather's home in Westmoreland
, near Keene, N. H.
, where he worked on the farm for four and a half years; and working on a farm then didn't mean running a mowing machine and a power churn.
It meant hard, back-breaking work; and from it Mr. Skinner
got the splendid physique that distinguishes him today in his eightieth year.
After the farming life, he went back to Vermont
, where he worked in a factory, and then went back to school.
First at the Black River
Academy in Ludlow
, then at the Lebanon
Liberal Institute, Lebanon, N. H.
, and last in the Clinton
Liberal Institute, Clinton, N. Y.
, he supplemented the common school and theological training which his minister-father had given him, and emerged ready to preach.
His first charge was at Dexter
, in Brownville
, his native place, as has been said.
He worked there several years, and found there his wife, Cornelia Bartholomew
, whom he married in 1850.
For fifteen years he was pastor of the First Universalist Church of Cambridge
In 1867 he accepted a call to Hartford, Conn.
, where he
preached ten years. Later, for four years, he occupied a pulpit in Melrose
, from which he came to Somerville
During his ten years service in this city he was recognized as one of the ablest clergymen of Somerville
His retirement from this pulpit, his last charge, was a matter of regret.
He still retains the affection of a host of friends in this city, and is frequently called upon to act in his ministerial capacity at occasions of prominence.
Rev. Mr. Skinner
resides in Cambridge
, and in June, 1903, celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of his first service in the First Universalist Church of that city.