A favorite pastor of the church, who served in that capacity for ten years, was Rev. Charles A. Skinner
He was born in Brownville, Jefferson county, N. Y.
, on April 19, 1824, but before he was a year old his parents moved to Langdon, N. H.
, and then shortly afterward to Cavendish, Vt.
, and Mr. Skinner
never saw his birthplace again until he was called there to his first pastorate many years later.
When he was still a mere boy, he left home and went to live at his grandfather's home in Westmoreland
, near Keene, N. H.
, where he worked on the farm for four and a half years; and working on a farm then didn't mean running a mowing machine and a power churn.
It meant hard, back-breaking work; and from it Mr. Skinner
got the splendid physique that distinguishes him today in his eightieth year.
After the farming life, he went back to Vermont
, where he worked in a factory, and then went back to school.
First at the Black River
Academy in Ludlow
, then at the Lebanon
Liberal Institute, Lebanon, N. H.
, and last in the Clinton
Liberal Institute, Clinton, N. Y.
, he supplemented the common school and theological training which his minister-father had given him, and emerged ready to preach.
His first charge was at Dexter
, in Brownville
, his native place, as has been said.
He worked there several years, and found there his wife, Cornelia Bartholomew
, whom he married in 1850.
For fifteen years he was pastor of the First Universalist Church of Cambridge
In 1867 he accepted a call to Hartford, Conn.
, where he