organizations were formed under his direction, the most prominent of which was the Men
In fact, every age and both sexes were amply provided for, and the church soon became a social settlement, with suppers, entertainments, and lectures galore.
The religious side was not neglected, however, as on Easter Sunday, 1893, twenty-nine individuals joined the church, and every Easter
thereafter saw many more new recruits added.
Lecture courses were conspicuous during these years, as Mr. Powers
believed in that form of entertainment, and had faith in their money-raising qualities.
Illustrated lectures of travel, lectures on the Bible
, lectures by city officials, etc., were all more or less successful.
At the annual meeting in March, 1894, the parish, on Mr. Powers
' initiative, appointed a committee to investigate the advisability, cost, etc., of building a hall on the lot in the rear of the church for the social purposes of the society and its auxiliaries.
On May 14 this committee reported, and the parish voted to build.
The hall was completed and opened November 23, 1894, and in less than two years it was paid for.
But what a strenuous time!
In the spring of 1895, and again in the fall of the same year, we held five-night fairs—two in one year, while previous to that time we had had but one in two years. The usual entertainments and other money-making schemes, which are the preliminaries of all fairs, were worked to the fullest extent, until the church became known, with good reason, as the ‘Every Night Church.’
Physically and financially, the demands on the members of the society were never heavier, but calls for contributions to outside philanthropies were often made, and always cheerfully met. Nor did the parish ever fail to respond to any new work to which Mr. Powers
called it. In all its history probably, notwithstanding, no period was more prosperous, or the society in a more