flourishing and thoroughly alive condition.
It proved conclusively that work, and plenty of it, is good for a church, as it is for an individual.
By delivering the Memorial Day
oration before the Grand Army
in 1893, Mr. Powers
came prominently before the whole city.
He, also, by inviting the Odd Fellows
, the Bicycle Club
, and other organizations to attend the Sunday morning services at various times, brought many into touch with our church who had never been interested in it before.
Two notable publications were issued during Mr. Powers
' administration: The Harvester, a paper published in connection with the fair of 1893, contained historical sketches of the church and all the organizations connected therewith, and in the 1897 Harvester the first directory of the parish was printed.
Both of these papers were of great value to the parish, and are especially valuable as historical documents.
In 1897 Mr. Powers
preached the annual sermon before the Universalist Sabbath School Union.
Deacon George W. Ireland
died in the fall of 1895, and in his will was found a bequest to the parish of $1,000, which bequest it was Mr. Powers
' privilege to announce.
Lenten services were held nightly during the week next preceding Easter
, 1897, and although new to our church, they were well attended.
, the parish treasurer, died suddenly in the church in February, 1898.
His death caused a vacancy in the ranks of the faithful workers which was hard to fill, and it is but just his name should appear in this history of the church.
At Mr. Powers
' suggestion, the church members adopted the individual communion cups in 1898.
The Men's Club was also started during the same year.
But 1898 will be chiefly remembered as the year in which the