The C. C. C.
(Founder of the Gleaner）
The C. C. C., or Christian Citizen Club, a society of young men connected with the Cross
-street Universalist Society, held its first meeting September 28, 1888.
At that time clubs of this name and character were not common; in fact, we are not sure but this was the first one of the kind in the neighborhood of Boston
This preliminary meeting was called on the invitation of Frank M. Hawes
, a teacher in the Sunday School.
He gave his views of what the object of a society with such a title ought to be, and later was elected president, secretary
, and treasurer of the organization.
Two articles of faith were adopted at this time:—
1. A man is the noblest work of God.
2. The proper study of mankind is man.
(Sentiments which would seem to show that one Alexander Pope
was the real founder of the society.) The club declared unanimously its intention to adopt other articles of faith ‘as soon as they shall know them.’
Meetings were to be held once a fortnight through the season.
Besides a half-hour talk of the president on subjects of his own selection, a few minutes each evening were given to the general topics of the day, a special subject being assigned to each member at the preceding meeting.
The evening's programme generally ended with a debate.
The club from the start was not seclusive; young men not in attendance at Cross-street Church became members, with the entire privileges of the same.
On the list of members, during the club's existence, are thirty-one persons, five or six of whom never had any connection with Cross-street.
It is needless to give the subjects which were debated at these meetings; they were the usual ones propounded in such gatherings.
If to-day we smile at them, we must remember that they served their purpose Very well, and helped the young men to acquire ease in extemporaneous speaking.
Up to January 1, 1889, eight meetings were held, with an average attendance of 9.8, with A. W. Glines
, H. M. Haven
, S. C. Earle
present at each meeting, William Moore
absent once, William T. Hayes
absent twice, etc.
The meeting of February 9, 1889, was a social one, that of April 4, Fast Day, was an out-of-doors affair, when the club and their friends took an outing to Blue Hills
, via Readville.
Each season the club made a visit on the pastor of the society, Rev. C. A. Skinner
; the evening of April 18 was so observed.
In the fall of 1889 a chairman for each meeting was appointed, a corresponding secretary was elected, also a treasurer.
was the first chairman, Mr. Earle
, corresponding secretary, and Edward Southworth
A constitution was adopted October 26, 1889, and that evening the first number of the C. C. C. Journal
appeared, edited by A. W. Glines
This was a unique affair.
Probably copies of the Journal are still in existence among the relics of past members.
From January, 1889, to January, 1890, eighteen regular meetings were held, with an average attendance of 9.2.
The highest record of attendance belongs to the following members, in the order given: Messrs. Haven
, L. Moore
The field meeting for April 3, 1890 (Fast Day) was held at the same place as the year before, Blue Hills
, via Readville.
A visit on the pastor was made April 19.
A second outing, the first time with ladies, was on May 30; the place, Stoneham
and Bare Hill
This was a very enjoyable occasion, and it was decided to continue the
It should be mentioned that Mr. Glines
was succeeded this year, as editor, by Horace Harwood
With the opening of the fall meetings, the officers were: Editor, H. M. Haven
; corresponding secretary, Horace Harwood
; treasurer, Ned Janvrin
From January, 1890, to January, 1891, seventeen meetings were held, with an average of seven for attendance.
January 1, 1891, found William T. Hayes
the editor of the Journal.
The visit on the pastor was made April 9.
Fast Day, April 2, the club went for its annual tramp, this time across the entire Blue Hills
range, from Readville to Quincy
The club gave its first entertainment May 6, 1891, when the two farces, ‘The Humors of the Strike’ and ‘Gentlemen of the Jury,’ were presented by the members.
The programme was interspersed with music of an original character.
The evening was an enjoyable one, and financially successful.
Comments on the performances appeared in the Boston
papers and the next week's Somerville Journal
With a part of the proceeds a gold-headed cane, fittingly inscribed, was presented to the pastor, Rev. C. A. Skinner
, June 1, 1891, in recognition of his ten years pastorate and his forty-five years in the Christian
Saturday, May 30, the second outing with ladies was made to the Lynn woods.
The occasion was even more successful than the year before.
In the fall of 1891 Arthur Ware
was chosen editor, Mr. Safford
corresponding secretary, and Eugene Fuller
The feasibility of the club's printing a fortnightly paper in the interests of the Cross
-street Society was presented to the members by A. W. Glines
at the meeting of November 4.
Christmas eve, December 24, an entertainment was given in the vestry, the shadow pantomime of ‘Puss in Boots,’ and tableau from ‘Mother Goose
,’ by the C. C. C.
At the opening meeting for 1892, January 9, with nine members present, it was voted to discontinue the C. C. C. Journal
with the present number, Vol.
V., No. 4. One interesting feature of the paper had been the contributions of Mr. Glines
, which never missed a number.
He and Acting Editor Ware
received a unanimous vote of thanks for their services.
January 23 a prospectus was read of our new paper, which was to be a printed sheet, and to be known as the Gleaner.
The project seemed feasible, and the club adopted it. Mr. Glines
was made the first editor.
This paper made its first appearance February 7, 1892.
A notice of the fiftieth meeting of the club, to be observed as ladies' night, appeared in the coming Gleaner.
This was March 12.
A musical programme was provided, refreshments served, and forty-one, including guests, were in attendance.
The entertainment this spring, under the auspices of the club, was the play of ‘Our Boys.’
and an orchestra assisted.
The proceeds were devoted to the printing of the Gleaner, and a goodly sum was realized.
April 7 the annual Fast Day walk was made from Danvers
railroad station to the Insane Asylum hill, thence to Folly hill
, to Ship Rock
, and home by cars via Lynn
The pastor was visited by members of the club April 20. May 30 the usual Memorial Day excursion was made, with ladies, to Sharon
and Massapoag pond
Several special meetings were held in the fall in the interest of the Gleaner, the entertainment, ‘Our Boys,’ was repeated for the benefit of the paper January 11, 1893, and annual April or May outings have been in vogue from that time to the present (1905), but no regular meeting of the club was held after May 14, 1892.
Its gatherings, we are happy to say, were always amicable and its end peaceful.
F. M. H.