The C. C. C.
(Founder of the Gleaner）
The C. C. C., or Christian Citizen Club, a society of young men connected with the Cross
-street Universalist Society, held its first meeting September 28, 1888.
At that time clubs of this name and character were not common; in fact, we are not sure but this was the first one of the kind in the neighborhood of Boston
This preliminary meeting was called on the invitation of Frank M. Hawes
, a teacher in the Sunday School.
He gave his views of what the object of a society with such a title ought to be, and later was elected president, secretary
, and treasurer of the organization.
Two articles of faith were adopted at this time:—
1. A man is the noblest work of God.
2. The proper study of mankind is man.
(Sentiments which would seem to show that one Alexander Pope
was the real founder of the society.) The club declared unanimously its intention to adopt other articles of faith ‘as soon as they shall know them.’
Meetings were to be held once a fortnight through the season.
Besides a half-hour talk of the president on subjects of his own selection, a few minutes each evening were given to the general topics of the day, a special subject being assigned to each member at the preceding meeting.
The evening's programme generally ended with a debate.
The club from the start was not seclusive; young men not in attendance at Cross-street Church became members, with the entire privileges of the same.
On the list of members, during the club's existence, are thirty-one persons, five or six of whom never had any connection with Cross-street.