It should be mentioned that Mr. Glines
was succeeded this year, as editor, by Horace Harwood
With the opening of the fall meetings, the officers were: Editor, H. M. Haven
; corresponding secretary, Horace Harwood
; treasurer, Ned Janvrin
From January, 1890, to January, 1891, seventeen meetings were held, with an average of seven for attendance.
January 1, 1891, found William T. Hayes
the editor of the Journal.
The visit on the pastor was made April 9.
Fast Day, April 2, the club went for its annual tramp, this time across the entire Blue Hills
range, from Readville to Quincy
The club gave its first entertainment May 6, 1891, when the two farces, ‘The Humors of the Strike’ and ‘Gentlemen of the Jury,’ were presented by the members.
The programme was interspersed with music of an original character.
The evening was an enjoyable one, and financially successful.
Comments on the performances appeared in the Boston
papers and the next week's Somerville Journal
With a part of the proceeds a gold-headed cane, fittingly inscribed, was presented to the pastor, Rev. C. A. Skinner
, June 1, 1891, in recognition of his ten years pastorate and his forty-five years in the Christian
Saturday, May 30, the second outing with ladies was made to the Lynn woods.
The occasion was even more successful than the year before.
In the fall of 1891 Arthur Ware
was chosen editor, Mr. Safford
corresponding secretary, and Eugene Fuller
The feasibility of the club's printing a fortnightly paper in the interests of the Cross
-street Society was presented to the members by A. W. Glines
at the meeting of November 4.
Christmas eve, December 24, an entertainment was given in the vestry, the shadow pantomime of ‘Puss in Boots,’ and tableau from ‘Mother Goose
,’ by the C. C. C.