At the opening meeting for 1892, January 9, with nine members present, it was voted to discontinue the C. C. C. Journal
with the present number, Vol.
V., No. 4. One interesting feature of the paper had been the contributions of Mr. Glines
, which never missed a number.
He and Acting Editor Ware
received a unanimous vote of thanks for their services.
January 23 a prospectus was read of our new paper, which was to be a printed sheet, and to be known as the Gleaner.
The project seemed feasible, and the club adopted it. Mr. Glines
was made the first editor.
This paper made its first appearance February 7, 1892.
A notice of the fiftieth meeting of the club, to be observed as ladies' night, appeared in the coming Gleaner.
This was March 12.
A musical programme was provided, refreshments served, and forty-one, including guests, were in attendance.
The entertainment this spring, under the auspices of the club, was the play of ‘Our Boys.’
and an orchestra assisted.
The proceeds were devoted to the printing of the Gleaner, and a goodly sum was realized.
April 7 the annual Fast Day walk was made from Danvers
railroad station to the Insane Asylum hill, thence to Folly hill
, to Ship Rock
, and home by cars via Lynn
The pastor was visited by members of the club April 20. May 30 the usual Memorial Day excursion was made, with ladies, to Sharon
and Massapoag pond
Several special meetings were held in the fall in the interest of the Gleaner, the entertainment, ‘Our Boys,’ was repeated for the benefit of the paper January 11, 1893, and annual April or May outings have been in vogue from that time to the present (1905), but no regular meeting of the club was held after May 14, 1892.
Its gatherings, we are happy to say, were always amicable and its end peaceful.
F. M. H.