as several mentions are made of profits from fairs, and donations of part of such, to the parish.
Superintendent Charles Williams
was succeeded in 1865 by his son, Charles Williams, Jr.
, who served eight years.
In 1868 the church was burned, and the school for a time was obliged to meet in the Prescott schoolhouse
or the town hall (now city hall).
The first reunion of teachers occurred in January, 1870; and in October of that same year the school for the first time began its sessions at 12 m.
The humanity of the teachers of that day is clearly shown by a vote which they passed, allowing a certain young lady the use of the school piano for practicing.
There were no houses near the church at that time, and the girl lived in a thickly-populated section.
Such deeds as this have done much for the advancement of Christianity!
The International Lessons were not fully adopted until 1877, although partial use was made of them long before that date.
Weekly teachers' meetings began at this time, and have continued since without change.
In the year 1873, three superintendents presided over the school: L. P. Hollander
for the first three months; John Viall
for five months; and John F. Ayer
for the remainder of the year and four years thereafter.
In March, 1873, money was appropriated to purchase mottoes with which ‘to embellish the vestry walls.’
These mottoes, after a long and meritorious service, have lately been retired, and the members of the school can devote more time to the spirit of the law in the absence of these ‘embellishing’ letters.
Rev. W. S. Ralph
, then the pastor of the church, acted as superintendent during 1878-1879; and while under his administration, in January, 1879, the school celebrated its twenty-fifth anniversary with appropriate exercises.
was elected superintendent in January,