The Lend-a-hand Club
On September 29, 1896, a society of young ladies, known as the Lend-a-Hand Club, was started, through the influence of Rev. L. M. Powers
, then the pastor of our church.
The object of the organization was primarily to remember the sick of the parish with flowers, call on newcomers, and in other ways to supplement the pastor's efforts in building up the congregation.
The work of the club was soon broadened, however, so that it included sewing for the families of working women, providing Christmas
gifts for poor children, and other work along distinctly charitable lines.
The first president was Miss Nellie M. Briggs
Other presidents have been: Miss Alice Niles
, Mrs. Fred U. Burrows
, and the present incumbent, Mrs. Frank E. Bateman
During the last year the society has worked under the direction of the Associated Charities
Although but little has been heard of the organization, it has, in its seven years existence, been ever ready to ‘lend a hand’ in all good work, whether connected with the church or not. And this meagre chronicle of its good works is not because they were few, but because the members to-day are looking forward and not back—forgetting the things of the past, and pressing onward.