The Mission Workers
A most interesting and helpful organization is the Mission Workers
, a society of young misses.
The inception of this society was made in November, 1884, by Mrs. G. D. Haven
She took charge of a class of young girls in the Sunday School, and for about two years entertained them every two weeks in the afternoon at her house.
A wish to join was expressed by others, and to unite them in friendship for each other and in loving service for the church and its work, Mrs. Haven
formed them into the ‘Busy Bees.’
Later the older members were organized into the ‘Merry Workers.’
On January 25, 1902, it was decided to reorganize these two societies into one, to be known as the Mission Workers
It was also voted that the new organization should work under the auspices of the Mission Circle
, who has been in charge since the beginning, has had several earnest and faithful helpers at various times during the twenty years, among them being Mrs. H. Williams
, Mrs. Arthur W. Glines
, Mrs. William Wilkins
, Mrs. J. F. Mills
, Mrs. R. Y. Gifford
, Miss Alice Nickerson
, and Miss Abbie Southworth
Since 1888 these young misses have raised and contributed about $1,000 to the church, and to other parish and denominational interests nearly $300 more.
At every fair they have had a table.
They have gone into the houses of the poor and given food and clothing, and gladdened homes with well-laden Christmas
To-day this band of young workers is as useful and as full of energy as were the earlier ‘Merry Workers’ twenty years ago. Some of its members are children of those original little girls who as ‘Busy Bees’ took so much pride in helping their church and Sunday School.
As Rip Van Winkle
says, ‘May they all live long and prosper.’