This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
Under this warrant, a meeting was duly held in the little schoolhouse which stood at the junction of Shawmut and Medford streets, a constitution was adopted, and the First Universalist Society of Somerville was legally established February 16, 1854, Edwin Munroe, Jr., being the moderator, Charles Williams, clerk, with Edwin Munroe, Jr., Reuben Horton, Erastus E. Cole, standing committee, Edwin Munroe, Jr., treasurer, and Joseph Q. Twombly, collector. At this first meeting Charles Tufts offered the society the lot of land upon which the present building stands, which was accepted. A committee to solicit subscriptions for a church was also appointed, the standing committee, the collector, together with Abel Fitz, Francis Russell, and Ira Thorpe constituting the same. At this meeting George Fogg, John Hunnewell, George W. Ireland, Charles Bird, Jr., and Abram Welch were voted into the society. Charles Williams, Jr.'s, name was added March 1, 1854.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.