previous next

[13] Colonel Jones of the 6th Regiment (at Lowell), Colonel Packard of the 4th (at Quincy), Colonel Wardrop of the 3d (at New Bedford) and Colonel Munroe of the 8th (at Lynn), requiring them to muster their commands on Boston Common forthwith.

The question which militia company arrived first in Boston is not wholly easy to settle. In the annual report of Adjutant-General Schouler (January, 1862) it was expressly stated that the first to arrive were three from Marblehead (Cos. B, C, H, 8th Regiment), and that ‘they arrived at the Eastern depot at 9 A. M.’1 Six years later, in his History of Massachusetts in the Civil War, he modified the statement, saying that he was at the Eastern railway station when these companies arrived, and that the hour was ‘shortly after eight.’2 It is obvious that a considerable range of time is thus opened by this discrepancy as to hours; and it is also noticeable that his testimony in 1862 was given a good deal nearer to the actual occurrences than that made in 1868. On the other hand, there is ample evidence that Co. E, 4th Regiment Mass. Volunteer Militia, took the train at South Abington at 7.13 A. M., April 16, 1861, due to arrive in Boston at 8.13 A. M., and, as there was no delay or accident, it is fair to suppose that the train arrived on time.3 If, therefore, the first statement of Adjutant-General Schouler was correct, Captain Allen's Abington company had distinct precedence over the three Marblehead companies; whereas, if the Adjutant-General's modified statement of 1868 is to be accepted, the matter is left more indefinite. As a matter of fact, the controversy is not of great importance, because many companies took the first trains on their respective railways, and were after that at the mercy of the time tables, over which they had no control.

The essential point is that all the regiments responded ‘forthwith’ as required, on April 16, though in consequence of a severe storm the place of assemblage was changed to Faneuil Hall. In spite of the storm, crowds of men and women were gathered to receive the various troops, and followed them with zeal through the city. Some detached companies were also ordered out and were assigned to different regiments. A messenger sent to Captain Dike of Stoneham, whose company was to be transferred from the

1 Adjutant-General's report, January, 1862, p. 8.

2 Schouler, I, 51.

3 Manuscript letter from Maj. Charles F. Allen, late captain Co. E, 4th Regiment M. V. M., afterwards major 38th Mass. Infantry.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
William Schouler (3)
Charles F. Allen (2)
D. W. Wardrop (1)
Samuel M. Quincy (1)
Packard (1)
Munroe (1)
Charles Russell Lowell (1)
Edward F. Jones (1)
Dike (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
1868 AD (2)
January, 1862 AD (2)
1862 AD (1)
April 16th, 1861 AD (1)
April 16th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: