previous next

[25] The words ‘seized’ and ‘taken without firing a shot’ simply belonged to what may be called the mythical period of our early war history. The ferry boat was anchored, on arrival, near the schoolship, the frigate Constitution; and two companies were placed on board of the vessel for her security, until she could sail for New York. The mechanical training of the regiment showed itself in the promptness with which the railway and locomotives were repaired; and the regiment with the 7th New York set forth on the 24th upon a toilsome march to Washington,1 where they arrived the 26th, General Butler remaining at Annapolis.

On their arrival at Washington, Colonel Monroe asked to be relieved from command and Lieut.-Col. Edward W. Hincks was promoted to his place. Governor Andrew once said publicly that Colonel (afterwards major-general) Hincks was the first man to offer him his individual services for the war. When the regiment was mustered out after three months service, it received special thanks from Congress for the energy and patriotism displayed by it in overcoming obstacles, both by sea and land.

Vi. The occupation of Baltimore.

On May 12, 1861, took place another of those events which, having been surrounded with the excited and melodramatic aspect of that period, remained in this confused shape until the official records were published. On the day already named General Butler ordered a force from the Relay House to march into Baltimore and take possession of Federal Hill. It was practically an attempt of little or no danger, inasmuch as what was then called the ‘blockade’ of Baltimore was ended, and a force of Pennsylvania troops under Colonel Patterson had marched through on May 9, without any excitement, under orders of General Patterson, commanding the Department of Washington.2 But, such as it was, this occupation

1 This march was graphically described by Major Winthrop (Atlantic Monthly, VII, 744).

2 ‘Having succeeded in securing a well-protected line of communication with Washington, I turned my attention to re-establishing the route through Baltimore . . . and in this I was well aided by His Excellency Governor Hicks.’ (Patterson's Shenandoah Campaign, p. 27.) The force which opened the way through Baltimore consisted of five companies of the 3d U. S. Infantry, Major Shepard, five hundred men; one company of Maj. T. W. Sherman's battery, six pieces of cannon and seventy horses; and the 1st Regiment of Penn. Artillery, ‘17th of the Line,’ and afterwards known from its drab hats as ‘the Quaker Regiment,’ armed with muskets, eight hundred men. The mayor, police commissioners and a police force were present. ‘There was no excitement other than that which proceeded from the curiosity of the people to witness the proceedings.’ (New York Tribune, May 10, 1861, in Putnam's Rebellion Record, I (Diary), pp. 61, 62.) ‘Without any molestation or any symptoms of a hostile demonstration.’ (Bates, History Pennsylvania Volunteers, I, 160.)

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)
hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Patterson (3)
Edward W. Hincks (2)
B. F. Butler (2)
T. Winthrop (1)
T. W. Sherman (1)
Shepard (1)
S. H. Putnam (1)
Monroe (1)
Hicks (1)
J. L. Bates (1)
John A. Andrew (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
May 12th, 1861 AD (1)
May 10th, 1861 AD (1)
May 9th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: