that had contained his joy. The beautiful house at Bowling Green
was sold, with the new furniture which had lately been ordered to please his Julia
, and which the children never saw uncovered; and the family removed to Bond Street, then at the upper end of New York City.
,” said his friends, “you are going out of town!”
Bond Street in the twentieth century is an unlovely thoroughfare, grimy, frowzy, given over largely to the sale of feathers and artificial flowers; Bond Street in the early part of the nineteenth century was a different affair.
The first settler in the street was Jonas Minturn
, who about 1825 built No. 22. Mr. Ward
The city was then so remote, one could hardly see the houses to the south across the woods and fields.
children saw the street grow up around them; saw the dignified houses, brick or freestone, built and occupied by Kings
, Halls, Morgans, Grinnells, most of all by Wards.
was then at No. 16; his father, the old Revolutionary soldier, soon came to live at No. 7, with his daughter Anne; his brother Henry was first at No. 14, then at No. 23; while his brother John was to make No. 8 a dwelling beloved by three generations.
did not remember in what year her father bought the tract of land at the corner of Bond Street and Broadway. At first a large part of it was fenced in, and used as a riding-ring by the Ward
There was also, either here or at No. 16, something in the