At the northern end of the quadrangle stands Holworthy, a dormitory built in 1812, in part with money raised by a lottery.
For many years this hall was devoted to the senior class, and it is along the front of Holworthy now, that, on Class Day evening, the year of the graduating class shines out in figures of light.
One of the claims to distinction which Holworthy enjoys is that during his American tour some years ago, the Prince
visited the hall, and left his picture as a memento of his visit.
On the eastern side of the quadrangle next to Holworthy is Thayer Hall, the largest dormitory in the yard, built in 1870 by Nathaniel Thayer
The most prominent of the college buildings, because of its close connection with student life, comes next.
University it is called, constructed of granite and completed in 1815, being the first stone building erected in the yard.
The central portion was at one time used as a chapel, but now the building is devoted to lectures, and to the offices of the President
In the office of the President stands the ancient chair which was always used by him at commencement.
Official notices are posted on the bulletin boards at the entrance and in the corridors.
South of University is Weld Hall, a dormitory of brick with freestone trimmings, a gift of William F. Weld
, in memory of his brother.
The southern end of the quadrangle is formed by Gray's Hall, a dormitory built by the corporation and named for three generous friends of the University
It is built of brick with three granite tablets inscribed respectively with the dates 1636 and 1863, also the college seal.