Under these two names-Sweet Auburn
and Mount Auburn
— have the beautiful grounds, now endeared to countless hearts, been known and loved for more than a century.
In 1635, Simon Stone
, an English gentleman, came to New England
with his family and settled on the banks of the Charles River
; and his broad lands, after having passed from father to son in unbroken line of descent, for over two hundred years, form now portions of the Cambridge Cemetery
and of Mount Auburn
In the former a small tablet, marked Simon Stone
, denotes the spot where still lives and bears fruit one of the ancient pear trees planted by the pilgrim's hand, and looked on with reverential interest by his descendants to the eleventh generation.
's Mount, on which the Tower in Mount Auburn
stands, formed a part also of the many acres of Simon Stone
and his descendants.
These beautiful grounds possessed every variety of charm that nature could bestow.
The hills were covered with a great variety of trees, among which the oak, the chestnut, the pine and the walnut were prominent, forming a delightful shade and a winsome retreat from o'er burdening care.
The ground was carpeted with wild flowers from the