who greatly increased the strength of the body.
These were Professor Charles Eliot Norton
, Professor Goodwin
, Professor Smith
, at the time Dean
of Harvard College, Professor Child
, Professor Byerly
, Professor James Mills Peirce
, Miss Mason
and Henry Lee Higginson
, of Boston
, and Joseph B. Warner
, of Cambridge
, who had previously acted as Treasurer.
There have been five other additions to the corporation since 1882. Mrs. Henry Whitman
was chosen in 1886, Miss Agnes Invin
in 1894, Professor John Chipman Gray
, Miss Annie Leland Barber
and Miss Mary Coes
The two members last mentioned were graduates and had been nominated by the alumnae.
had been assistant to the Secretary
for a number of years.
She is now Secretary
At the time of the incorporation, in 1882, Mrs. Agassiz
was chosen President
and she began to take a more active part in the work and life of the students.
She gave up one afternoon in the week to a social meeting with them at Fay House, the building which was bought in 1885 as the permanent home, and she assisted them in their own social gatherings as the other ladies also did. This is, of course, but a small part of the work of Mrs. Agassiz
in behalf of the students.
The third stage in the history of the movement dates from the incorporation of Radcliffe College by a special act of the Legislature of Massachusetts which received the signature of the Governor
on the twenty-third of March, 1894, having been passed a few days previous almost without a dissenting vote.
Though there was no opposition on the part of the members of the legislature to the plan that made “The Society for the Collegiate Instruction
of Women” Radcliffe College, there was found to be not a little among some others who feared that the