1697, graduated 1714, died 1769.
became pastor of the First Church
in 1717 and was an excellent minister.
Francis, after the English
plan, succeeded his father.
He occupied the ancestral estate, and spent the most of his life in the public service.
He was Register of Probate for Middlesex
from 1709 to 1731, so that for many years the father was Judge
and the son Register.
He was Register of Deeds forty-five years, a member of the Council twenty-six years, and a Justice for twenty-seven years, until his resignation from reasons of age in 1764.
He died in the family mansion to which he was brought as an infant.
His wife was Mehitable Coney
, and, as his brother married Anna Coney
, the brothers may have married sisters, perhaps the daughters of John Coney
Francis and Mehitable had fifteen children, most of whom died young, making tihe parents' lives full of sorrow, we read.
There are many mentions of the second Foxcroft
's invaluable History of Cambridge
For instance, when the “Meeting-house
” was built in 1756, the Foxcroft subscription was a handsome one.
In 1744 the second Francis was named first on a committee of five appointed by the town a School Committee, “to inspect the Grammer School and inquire (at such times as they shall think meet) what proficiency the youth and children make in their learning.”
As to the house first erected by Danforth
and so long used by the Foxcrofts that it was known as the Foxcroft house
, there is a seeming disagreement between the Rev. Lucius R. Paige
and Mr. John Holmes
The former says that the house was burned in 1777, the latter that it was standing in his youth, “dilapidated and untenantable.”