or Craigie house, the third of these notable places, stands nearly opposite the Batchelder estate.
It was built in 1759 by Colonel John Vassall
, a brother of Colonel Henry Vassall
whose home we have just been considering.
After he was obliged to vacate these premises, a regiment from Marblehead
commanded by Colonel Glover
occupied the mansion.
This is perhaps the most interesting of the houses in Tory Row, as with it are associated the names of those who are so prominent, either historically or in the world of letters.
As the headquarters of General Washington
it will always hold a foremost place among the points of interest in Cambridge
was appointed commander-in-chief of the American
army — he left Philadelphia
on the twenty-first of June, 1775, to join the troops whose headquarters were then at Cambridge
He accomplished the whole of the journey on horseback, accompanied from place to place by mounted escorts.
He made all possible speed, arriving the second of July at Watertown
, where the Provincial Congress of Massachusetts
was in session, by which body he was warmly greeted.
He then proceeded to the quarters assigned to him in Cambridge
As he approached the camp of the army which occupied about the site of the present common, he was greeted with shouts and the firing of artillery.
Congress ordered that all the rooms but one in the house of the president of Harvard College, now standing on Massachusetts avenue between Dane
and Boylston Halls and known as the Wadsworth house
, should be prepared for the use of General Washington
and of General Lee
who accompanied him. On the morning of the next day, July 3, the army being drawn up on the com-