he held councils of war with his subordinate officers; and the room on the left as one enters (the southwest), in which Mrs. Washington
received her friends.
This is now called the Lady Washington
room, and the wood-work is the same as in 1775.
's appearance was very stately in his blue and buff uniform, rich epaulettes, elegant small sword, and silver-mounted pistols.
He left his Cambridge
home April 4, 1776, for New York.
Thirteen years later when on a visit to Boston
he passed through Cambridge
and spent about an hour at his old headquarters.
In 1792 the Vassall estate was purchased by Andrew Craigie
by whose name it was known for so many years.
It was said that he accumulated a fortune when apothecary-general to the Continental
The northeast room on the first floor was enlarged and the wooden columns and much of the fine wood carving was added by Craigie
He was greatly interested in the development of East Cambridge, the bridge there still being known by his name.
He became involved financially through his speculations, andd during the last years of his life he was virtually a prisoner in his own house.
He was liable to arrest for debt if he was seen outside his home on week days, though on Sundays he could go out with no fear of molestation.
After his death his widow continued to reside here, helping out her income by letting rooms to students; and Edward Everett
, Jared Sparks
, Joseph E. Worcester
and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
among others occupied rooms in the venerable mansion at this time.
Soon after Mrs. Craigie
's death in 1843, the estate was purchased by Mr. Longfellow
Since then the interest in the house on account of its connection