, had taught in England
, having among his converts John Eliot
, apostle to the Indians.
's friends built a meeting-house here and sent for him to be pastor.
The church then was on Water street, now Dunster
, south of Spring street, now Mt. Auburn
soon removed, with most of his congregation, to Hartford
At his departure, the remaining members of his flock founded a new church.
The first regular church edifice was built near Governor Dudley
's house, and Mr. Thomas Shepard
was ordained pastor, 1636.
At about the same time was established here the colony's first school, later developed into Harvard College.
The first members of Mr. Shepard
's church were men prominent in the state, among them Henry Dunster
, first president of the college.
As there was, for nearly one hundred years, no other place of worship here, many Church-of-England men held pews in Mr. Shepard
's Church, and kept them down to the time when Christ Church was founded.
There are many records of this time, preserved partly in Mr. Shepard
's own handwriting, in a book possessed by Dr. McKenzie
's time came the troubles over Mrs. Anne Hutchinson
and her heresies, settled by a synod held in this church.
In 1636 Harvard College was established in Cambridge
; for two reasons was it placed here: because the town was conveniently situated and because it was here “under the orthodox and soul-flourishing ministry of Mr. Tho. Shepheard
Twelve important men of the colony were chosen to take orders for the college, and of these were Shepard
, Cotton, Wilson
Thus from the first, college interests