adier-General Isaac Royal
, the Skiltons and Sweethens of Woburn
, and Robert Nichells
, all went to Christ Church.
At 10 Linden street was the old rectory.
It had hand-painted wall paper and Delft
tiles, and was so grand it was called the “Bishop
Indeed, so did the Puritan
people in the town dread lest Dr. Apthorp
aspire to be bishop that they fairly drove him, by opposition, back to England
The next important period of the church's history was the Revolution time during which Christ Church was beaten upon by the waves of a wild tide of patriotism.
The rector was forced to fly and had but a troubled life of it thereafter.
In the summer of 1774 the last regular services before the Revolution were held in the church.
The only member left was Judge Lee
, who was unmolested because his principles were mild.
Now for a space the church ministered to the soldiers' bodily rather than to their spiritual needs.
, the company of Captain John Chester
from Wethersfield, Conn.
, was quartered in the church.
There is still a bullet mark in the porch as a reminder of this period.
The sole member who took the colonial side, John Pidgeon
, was appointed commissary-general to the forces.
The rest, Tories, fled to General Gage
, a good churchman, though for reasons of expediency he often worshipped with his men at the Congregational
meeting house (then under Dr. Appleton
), when Mrs. Washington
came, Dec. 31, 1775, had Christ Church re-opened for a service which he attended.
One is still shown the place where his hat was laid, near the threshold.
and Mrs. Washington
probably occupied ”