The interesting relics to be seen in the church are the communion service, bearing arms of William and Mary, and forming part of a larger set given (1694) to the rector of King's Chapel
, by these sovereigns.
These pieces were used there up to 1772, when Thomas Hutchinson
He was given the crown communion plate and the pulpit furniture to distribute.
The new set of plate went to King's Chapel
, and the old was divided between a church at Newburyport
and Christ Church here.
There are three pieces here, flagon, chalice and paten.
On the under side of each is written, “The gift of K William and Q Mary to ye Rev'd Samuel Myles
for ye use of their Maj'ities Chapell
in N. England
, who gives these facts about the service, adds also that it is used only on especial occasions.
There is another silver service and one of gold (the Foote memorial). The silver basin given by Mrs. Grizzel Apthorp
is used as the chief alms basin.
A silver service given in 1791 by Mrs. Bethune
, (laughter of Benjamin Faneuil
, is used for communion-alms.
The original parchment parish-register dating back to 1759 is preserved by the church.
Between Christ Church and the First Parish Church lies the old peaceful graveyard, ablaze in autumn with golden-rod.
The yard is fully two hundred and sixty-four years old, and had been used about one hundred and thirty years before Christ Church was built.
Here lie Stephen Day, first printer of this continent north of Mexico
; Elijah Corlet
, first master
of the Faire Grammar School; Thomas Shepard
, first pastor in Cambridge
; also Jonathan Mitchell
, Nathaniel Gookin
, William Brattle
, Thomas Hilliard
, and Mr. Appleton