Some Cambridge schools in the olden time.
The old town records tell us that our ancestors had a school where grammar, that is, Latin, and English were taught, as well as writing and ciphering.
Mr. Elijah Corlet
was its master between forty and fifty years, and “is praised in that he hath very well approved himself for his abilities, dexterity and painfulness in teaching.”
That word “painfulness” is a good one.
Our present Corlett school in the Belmont district is so named in honor of this prophetic Elijah, the forerunner of the many who since his day have approved themselves for their abilities, dexterity and painfulness.
The old schoolhouse stood on the westerly side of Holyoke street about half way between Harvard and Mount Auburn streets, on a lot owned by President Dunster
of the college.
It was used for school purposes till 1796, then for a printing office.
A second, later schoolhouse was on the southerly side of Garden street, about one hundred feet from Appian Way and a little west of the Episcopal church.
This building was twenty feet in width by twenty-six in length, and was erected many years after Mr. Corlet
had laid aside his grammar and