previous next


Town House

again burned at the great fire, Mar. 20, 1760

Rebuilt and completed, Jan. 1, 1761

Otis, great Liberty Speech made there, Feb. 13, 1763

Had a clock at the east end, June 19, 1823

Occupied for city offices, Sep. 17, 1830

Occupied for a Post-Office, 1840

Fitted up for private offices, 1844

Remodeled in the original style, 1882

Lines, run between Boston and Lynn, Mar. 30. 1655

Between Boston and Malden, Apr. 18, 1711

Between Boston and Cambridge, Mar. 11, 1654

Meetings, notices first posted up for, Oct. 2, 1701

To consider the duties on tea, May 15, 1750

Prohibited by General Gage, Aug. 15, 1774

For Boston, held at Concord, July 12, 1775

For Boston, held at Watertown, Sep. 5, 1775

Held in Mr. Checkley's Church, Mar. 29, 1776

Held to put down monopolies, Feb. 6, 1777

John Hancock moderator at one, Mar. 12, 1778

Three Cape Cod men caught voting, May 28, 1795

Vote yes, by going out; no by staying in, Apr. 9, 1804

Pump. One stood in Cornhill, near Queen st., 1662

Built in Dock square, by the poor, 1780

One at east end of Old Town House, 1815

One in North square, 1816

One in Spring lane, 1780

One on Fort Hill, 1800

One, corner Milk and Congress streets, 1820

City Marshal ordered to inspect, 1823

One, corner Washington and Dover streets, 1834

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)
hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Harrison Gray Otis (1)
Lynn (1)
Thomas Gage (1)
Checkley (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: