previous next

[587] lost at Chancellorsville 1,860 men out of about 6,000, including 8 brigade commanders, 3 of whom were killed. General Colston rendered especially valuable services in rallying the men under the terrific fire of the enemy's artillery, after Jackson fell, and again on Sunday morning after the Federal forces had reoccupied their intrenchments. In the latter part of May, on account of the objection of the colonels of North Carolina regiments to service under a Virginia brigade commander, General Lee put a Marylander, George H. Steuart, in command, and General Colston was ordered to report to General Cooper at Richmond. In October he was assigned to command at Savannah, Ga. In April, 1864, he returned to Virginia, and was assigned by General Wise to provisional command at Petersburg. On the night of June 8th-9th the lines were threatened by the Federal cavalry, and the alarm bells called out the home guards, old men and boys, the regular troops having been transferred to Lee's army. Immediately offering his services to General Wise he was ordered to take command on the line of lunettes, which then constituted the major part of the defenses, with the injunction to hold out until Wise could bring up his reserves. Colston joined Major Archer, who had less than 200 at the point attacked, and skillfully directed the desperate defense, holding his position until almost surrounded, when he made an orderly retreat, in which he seized a musket and fought with his men. The time gained by this gallant resistance enabled Graham's battery and Dearing's cavalry to come up in time to rout the Federal column, which was about to occupy the city. In July, General Colston was assigned to command of the post at Lynchburg, where he remained until the surrender. Subsequently he was engaged in lecturing and in the conduct of a military academy at Wilmington, N. C., until 1873, when he entered the military service of the Khedive of Egypt, in which he remained until 1879, meanwhile conducting two important exploring expeditions to the Soudan. During his last expedition he was paralyzed, and was carried hundreds of miles across the desert on a litter. Returning to Virginia he engaged in literary work and lecturing, and from 1882 to 1894 held a position in the war department at Washington. He passed the remainder of his days in the Soldiers' home at Richmond, and died July 29, 1896.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)
hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Raleigh Edward Colston (4)
Henry Alexander Wise (3)
Fitz Lee (2)
George H. Steuart (1)
Stonewall Jackson (1)
Graham (1)
James Dearing (1)
Samuel Cooper (1)
F. H. Archer (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
July 29th, 1896 AD (1)
1894 AD (1)
1882 AD (1)
1879 AD (1)
1873 AD (1)
April, 1864 AD (1)
October (1)
July (1)
June 9th (1)
June 8th (1)
May (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: