previous next

[613] of a board of revision of tactics, he was on duty in the west, escorting Whipple's topographical party, on the Utah expedition and the march to New Mexico, and in garrison duty, until he was granted leave of absence in 1861. He was promoted captain in 1855, and held this rank when he resigned to enter the Confederate service. He was commissioned lieutenant-colonel, corps of artillery, C. S. A., and in September was assigned to duty as adjutant-general, on the staff of Maj.-Gen. Richard S. Ewell. Participating in this capacity in the battles of Front Royal, Winchester, Cross Keys and Port Republic, of the Valley campaign, he was commended in each report of General Ewell for the coolness and efficiency with which he performed his duties. He was with General Ewell through the Seven Days battles before Richmond, at Cedar mountain, and Groveton, where Ewell was wounded, and subsequently being appointed inspector-general of the division, was commended for gallantry on the field of Fredericksburg by General Early. After participating in the battle of Chancellorsville he was promoted brigadier-general in May, and assigned to the command of the old Second brigade of Jackson's division, now Edward Johnson's division, Ewell's corps. He reached the field of Gettysburg with his brigade about sunset July 1st, and on the following day took part in the assault upon Culp's hill, but fell with a dangerous wound when near the first line of the enemy's intrenchments. The brigade was commanded during the remainder of the battle by Lieut.-Col. R. H. Dungan. Returning to his brigade in September, he commanded it during the operations on the Rappahannock and Rapidan, and led the advance of his division on November 27th, to Payne's farm, where he received a serious wound in the head, early in the fight, while gallantly exposing himself at the front. Notwithstanding his hurt, he reported for duty a few days afterward, when a general engagement was supposed to be imminent. On May 5, 1864, Jones brigade opened the terrific struggle in the Wilderness, driving back the Federal flanking skirmishers early in the day. He sustained the first attack by Warren's corps, the enemy suddenly striking his right flank and driving his men back in confusion. In a desperate attempt to rally his brigade, the brave commander and his aide-de-camp, Captain R. D. Early, were killed. General Ewell, in his

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Richard S. Ewell (6)
Whipple (1)
Warren (1)
William H. Payne (1)
John Marshall Jones (1)
Edward Johnson (1)
R. D. Early (1)
N. Y. Early (1)
R. H. Dungan (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
September (2)
May 5th, 1864 AD (1)
1861 AD (1)
1855 AD (1)
November 27th (1)
July 1st (1)
May (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: