previous next

[627] Gettysburg campaign he fought at Fleetwood Hill and Brandy Station, where he engaged the enemy in a series of brilliant charges with his regiments, in one of the last of which he received a severe wound through the leg. General Stuart reported ‘the handsome and highly satisfactory manner’ in which he handled his brigade, and the deplorable loss ‘for a short time only, it is hoped, of his valuable services.’ But, in his helpless condition, he was taken prisoner by Federal raiders and carried to Fortress Monroe, where, and at Fort Lafayette, he was held until March, 1864. On his return to the army he was promoted major-general and assigned to the command of a division of the cavalry. He participated in the operations of the cavalry from the Rapidan to the James in 1864; was at Malvern hill when Grant crossed the river; opposed Wilson's raid against the Weldon railroad in June; commanded the cavalry at Globe Tavern, August; at Five Forks held the right of the Confederate line; and during the retreat to Appomattox, aided Gordon in repulsing repeated assaults. After the surrender he retired to his plantation, and resided there until his removal to Burke's Station in 1874. He was president for a time of the State agricultural society, served one term in the State senate, and sat in the Fiftieth, Fifty-first and Fifty-second Congresses as representative of the Eighth Virginia district. He died at Alexandria, October 15, 1891.

Brigadier-General R. D. Lilley

Brigadier-General R. D. Lilley entered the Confederate service in the spring of 1861 as captain of the Augusta Lee Rifles, a volunteer company, which marched through the mountains under Col. J. M. Heck, after the battle of Philippi, to recruit the forces in western Virginia. At Huttonsville, General Garnett ordered two regiments to be formed from the volunteer and militia organizations, and the Rifles was assigned to the Twenty-fifth Virginia infantry, under Colonel Heck. This regiment occupied Rich mountain, and there Captain Lilley, in command of his company, took part in the defense of Camp Garnett. During the night retreat from that post, he and part of his company followed the lead of Major Hotchkiss, over the mountain, and reached Beverly in safety; but the remainder of the column became separated and were captured by McClellan. He remained with the

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
R. D. Lilley (3)
J. M. Heck (2)
Henry Wilson (1)
J. E. B. Stuart (1)
George B. McClellan (1)
Jedediah Hotchkiss (1)
U. S. Grant (1)
John B. Gordon (1)
T. S. Garnett (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
October 15th, 1891 AD (1)
1874 AD (1)
March, 1864 AD (1)
1864 AD (1)
1861 AD (1)
June (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: