previous next

[646] the battles of Guilford Court House and Yorktown, and died at Clifton in 1837. By his second marriage, to Marian Morson, of Scottish descent, he had one son, Arthur A. M. Payne, born at Clifton in 1804, who was a prominent man, and widely known as a breeder of fine horses, among them Passenger. He married Mary Conway Mason Fitzhugh, daughter of Judge Nicholas Fitzhugh, of the District of Columbia, and granddaughter of Augustine Washington. The eldest of their six children is General Payne, who has well sustained the ancestral reputation of worthy citizenship, and faithful service, both in civil and military life, in the best interests of the community and the commonwealth. After completing his education in the university of Virginia and preparing himself for the practice of law, he formed a partnership for professional work with Samuel Chilton, at Warrenton. In 1856, at the age of twenty-six years, the ability he had demonstrated warranted his election to the office of commonwealth's attorney, which he continued to fill with satisfaction to the public until 1869, except during the period he passed in the military service. He was among the first to answer the call of the State immediately after the passage of the ordinance of secession, and as a private participated in the occupation of Harper's Ferry. Soon after his arrival there he was promoted to a captaincy in the Black Horse cavalry, a rank which he held from April 26th to September 17, 1861, when he was promoted major and assigned to the Fourth Virginia cavalry. With this command he participated in the early operations of the Peninsular campaign. In the battle of May 5th at Williamsburg, Colonel Robertson being sick and Lieutenant-Colonel Wickham having been wounded on the previous day, he commanded the regiment in a fierce fight on the Telegraph road, and received, as stated in General Stuart's report, ‘a very severe, and I fear, mortal wound in the face.’ His capture followed and he was held as a prisoner of war two or three months. As soon as exchanged, though not yet fully recovered, he returned to duty early in September, 1862, and being promoted lieutenant-colonel, was assigned to the temporary command of the Second North Carolina regiment of cavalry, with which he held Warrenton, Va., with about 3,000 wounded Confederate soldiers, also capturing a number of Federal prisoners. In November he was ordered into hospital at

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
1869 AD (1)
September, 1862 AD (1)
September 17th, 1861 AD (1)
1856 AD (1)
1837 AD (1)
1804 AD (1)
November (1)
May 5th (1)
April 26th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: