previous next

[683] companies was soon recruited to a full regiment, and designated as the Twelfth Virginia regiment. Upon the reorganization of the army in May, 1862, he was re-elected colonel without opposition. After the evacuation of Norfolk, he and his regiment took a position at Drewry's bluff, and there acted in support of the fort during the attack by the Federal gunboats, which was handsomely repulsed. Soon afterward the regiment was ordered to Richmond, and became a part of the army of Northern Virginia. Leading the Twelfth, Colonel Weisiger participated in the battle of Seven Pines, and on June 25th was engaged in a heavy skirmish at French's farm on the Charles City road. This proved to be the commencement of the Seven Days battles around Richmond, which culminated in the battle of Malvern Hill on July 1, 1862. In that combat Weisiger's regiment was on the extreme right of the lines, occupied the last ridge in front of McClellan's army, and held that position during the night-when the Federal army retreated to Harrison's landing on James river. Late in the month of August, 1862, the Twelfth was ordered to join the army of Northern Virginia. On August 30th they arrived at the field of Second Manassas, early in the morning, and were held in reserve until the afternoon, when they were ordered to the front and placed on the right of the line of battle. After passing over a burning rail fence, causing some confusion, which was soon rectified, the regiment encountered a heavy artillery fire in which Adjt.-Gen. William E. Cameron was severely wounded by a piece of shell. In a very short time Brig.: Gen. William Mahone was wounded and carried from the field, and the brigade came under the command of Colonel Weisiger. About this time Brig.-Gen. A. R. Wright, of Georgia, reported that he was hard pressed and wanted Weisiger's assistance. The latter immediately complied, but in the movement was caught under a heavy fire and dangerously wounded and taken from the field. In consequence he was disabled for duty in the field. On May 6, 1864, the second day of the fighting in the Wilderness, General Longstreet was wounded and was succeeded by Gen. R. H. Anderson, he by General Mahone, and Colonel Weisiger was placed in command of the Virginia brigade as Mahone's successor. He commanded the brigade thenceforward, in the battles of the campaign from

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)
hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
May 6th, 1864 AD (1)
August, 1862 AD (1)
July 1st, 1862 AD (1)
May, 1862 AD (1)
August 30th (1)
June 25th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: