formed the Sixty-third Georgia regiment of infantry.
The Twelfth battalion and the Sixty-third regiment were on duty at Savannah
as infantry and heavy artillery—detachments from these commands serving also at Battery Wagner and Fort Sumter
In the summer of 1864 the Twelfth Georgia battalion, with two companies added, was sent to Virginia
as infantry, and was with Evans
' Georgia brigade, army of Northern Virginia, until the surrender at Appomattox
; while the Sixty-third Georgia was sent to Dalton
, serving from that time until Johnston
's capitulation in North Carolina
, in the army of Tennessee.
Additional particulars of the Twelfth Georgia battalion and the Sixty-third Georgia regiment will be found in the sketch of those two commands.
One other company of the old First Georgia, the Southern Rights Guards, from Perry
, re-enlisted in a body as the Southern Rights battery, serving as artillery in the army of Tennessee during the rest of the war. The other companies of the First Georgia broke up and re-enlisted in various commands.
The First Georgia independent battalion, organized at the same time as the First Georgia volunteers, went to Pensacola
with Peter H. Larey
as major commanding, Z. T. Conner
, adjutant, and S. M. Lanier
, quartermaster, under commissions from Governor Brown
, but the authority was not recognized when the battalion was received into Confederate service April 16th. Major Larey
resigned his commission early in June, and John B. Villepigue
, a South Carolinian who had had seven years service in the United States army, was elected major and assigned by order of General Bragg
A month later he was promoted to lieutenant-colonel, and in September Capt. William L. Lovell
, Company G, became major.
The Vicksburg artillery and Jackson artillery, of Mississippi
, were attached to the battalion in October, and the combined command was entitled the Georgia
A Florida company, the Simpson mounted