rangers, was also attached at this time.
In November, at the expiration of the six months enlistment, the name of the command was changed to the Thirty-sixth regiment Georgia volunteers.
The first Georgia soldiers at Pensacola
were the volunteers organized at Atlanta
by Capt. G. W. Lee
, who took his command to the Florida
port, with a letter from Adjutant-General Cooper
to General Bragg
, of date March 19th, in which it was stated that ‘this company, consisting of 100 men, chiefly artisans, is exclusive of the quota which has been required from that State, and the secretary of war desires you will cause the officers and men to be mustered into service and assigned to duty.’
The strength of this command was reported on March 31st at 113 men. It was attached to the First battalion as Company D.
Two ‘First’ regiments have already been noted in Georgia
, and there remains a third to be mentioned, which by priority of State service is entitled to the distinction of being the first regiment summoned to the field in Georgia
This was the First volunteer regiment of Georgia
, which was organized prior to the war, composed of the militia companies of Savannah
, and commanded by Col. A. R. Lawton
On the appointment of the latter as brigadier-general, H. W. Mercer
was elected colonel, and on the latter's promotion to brigadier-general, Charles H. Olmstead
was elected colonel, December 26, 1861.
He retained command throughout the war. This regiment was on duty at Savannah
and Fort Pulaski
's regiment was organized.
But of these two regiments, Ramsey
's was the first to leave the State
and the first to see actual war. The First volunteer regiment included the famous old companies—the Republican Blues
, German Volunteers, Irish Jasper Greens, Savannah Cadets and Oglethorpe
It was reorganized in October, 1862, and served on the coast until May, 1864.
Its organization was as follows: