was bought on the Clyde
in September, 1861, by Capt. James D. Bulloch
, of Georgia
, the European
agent of the Confederate States
She was a new ship, with a speed of thirteen knots, high for that time, and was the first to run the blockade directly for the Confederate government.
The passengers besides Captain Bulloch
were Col. Edward C. Anderson
, Messrs. Foster
, of Charleston
, and Dr. Holland
, an ex-surgeon of the United States army.
They sailed from Greenock, Scotland
, early in October, under the British
flag, and with a British captain; collided with an Austrian brig at Holyhead
, but fortunately escaped injury, and arrived at Bermuda
then explained to his English crew that his true object was to run the blockade, and that though the ship still flew the British
flag, he had a bill of sale for her in his pocket.
The captain and crew stood by him in this emergency, and the merchantman was at once transformed into a respectable fighting ship.
, taken up from the blockade-runner Nashville
, at St. George
, brought them safely to Savannah
about the middle of November without getting in sight of a blockader.
As soon as the Fingal
arrived with her precious stores Governor Brown
applied for arms to replace those which Georgia
had furnished the Confederate States
It finally appeared that 1,000 of the Enfield rifles had been shipped directly to Governor Brown
, and but 9,000 were for the Confederate government One-half of these were ordered to be distributed by General Lee
to the troops of Georgia
and South Carolina
, but with the condition that the troops receiving these arms must be enlisted for three years or the war. On the latter account Colonel Dow
's regiment of Mississippians was armed out of the guns expected by Georgia
When Captain Bulloch
was ready to sail out, about ten days after making port, the arrival of the Federals