eighteen had been furnished.
Brig.-Gen. W. D. Smith
was assigned to duty in the military district of Georgia, with orders to report to Gen. A. R. Lawton
, April 10th.
The United States
land forces participating in the reduction of Fort Pulaski
were under Maj.-Gen. David Hunter
and Brigadier-Generals Benham
Within the walls of Fort Pulaski
, under the command of Col. Charles H. Olmstead
, were a little over 400 men of the Savannah
regiment, or First regiment of Georgia
, the companies being the Montgomery Guard, Capt. L. J. Gilmartin
; German Volunteers, Capt. John H. Steigen
Light Infantry, Capt. T. W. Sims
; Wise Guard, Capt. M. J. McMullen
; Washington Volunteers, Capt. John McMahon
The armament of the fort was five 10-inch and nine 8-inch columbiads, three 42-pounders, three 10-inch mortars, one 12-inch mortar, one 24-pounder and two 12-pounder howitzers, twenty 32-pounders and two 4-inch Blakely
The fight went against the fort from the first, but there was great faith in the strength of the works.
Gen. David Hunter
, commanding the Federal department of the South
, demanded the surrender of the garrison of Colonel Olmstead
, the flag being sent under Lieut. James H. Wilson
. Colonel Olmstead
replied briefly, declining to surrender, and stating that he was there ‘to defend the fort, not to surrender it.’
The first shell was fired at 8:15 on the morning of April 10, 1862, and by 9:30 all the beleaguering batteries were in operation.
replied vigorously, but was at a disadvantage at the start on account of knowing the position of but two of the eleven Federal batteries.
An attack by the. Federal fleet was anticipated, but it took no part in the bombardment.
The Confederate soldiers and citizens in Savannah
and the adjacent fortifications listened with anxiety throughout the day to the continuous roar of the guns.
The ten hours bombardment on the first day caused no material damage, but during that night the garrison was