previous next
[122] to think that his (the President's) letter censured him. Abe was in good humor, and at leaving said, ‘Well, I will go home; I had no business here; but as the lawyer said, I had none anywhere else.’

May 28th.—Dupont is to be relieved, and three are spoken of in his place—Gregory, Foote, and myself. There is evidently an idea of two commanders, one for the fleet generally, and one for the attack, intended I think, to include Foote and myself (Dahlgren's Memoirs, p. 390).

Admiral Foote was taken suddenly ill, and that gallant officer died in New York on the 26th of June. Admiral Dahlgren was ordered to relieve Admiral Dupont, and left with the least possible delay; he arrived at Port Royal on the 4th of July. He says:

General Gillmore wished to act, and had called for assistance. Dupont had no specific instructions, but would assist. He preferred to await my arrival. A very loose state of things; no shape or connection. After Rodgers got to the Wabash a note was sent me from Dupont, saying he was “rejoiced” and would send for me at 10.. Dupont was very pleasant. The cabins full of officers.

In the afternoon I went over to Hilton Head to see General Gillmore. He said that his project must now be tried, or it would be too late in a few days. So I had no alternative but to grant the aid asked (Dahlgren's Memoirs, p. 396).

On the 5th Admiral Dahlgren met General Gillmore on board of the Wabash, and they ‘put the matter in a definite shape.’ The admiral ‘would send in five ironclads to clear the ground on Morris Island, and he would attempt an assault the night before. If it failed, then he would open the batteries. The thing is rather complicated, and, to make it worse, I am new to the squadron and the locality, and my staff likewise. . . . Besides, three of the turrets are being altered, and this work has to be stopped for the occasion’1 (Dahlgren's Memoirs, p. 397-8).

1 This change in the turret fitments could only be effected by direct orders from the Navy Department, and yet Admiral Dupont was held derelict in not having the monitors within Charleston bar, and for failing to give co-operation to General Gillmore, who writes on June 30th: ‘My preparations are nearly completed, but I can do nothing until Admiral Dupont's successor arrives and gets ready to work. The admiral has no instructions, and does not feel at liberty to put his vessels into action on the eve of relinquishing his command.’ General Gillmore. however, was not ready to operate until July 10th, or four days after Dahlgren was in command.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Sort places alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a place to search for it in this document.
Port Royal (South Carolina, United States) (1)
Morris Island (South Carolina, United States) (1)
Hilton Head (South Carolina, United States) (1)
hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Samuel Francis Dupont (6)
Dahlgren (6)
Q. A. Gillmore (5)
Foote (3)
John Rodgers (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
July 10th (1)
July 4th (1)
June 30th (1)
June 26th (1)
May 28th (1)
5th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: