order, No. 8, creating the ‘Trans-Mississippi district, of Department No. 2,’ and placing it under the command of Maj.-Gen. Earl Van Dorn
On January 29, 1862, with headquarters at Little Rock
, General Van Dorn
assumed command of the district, which comprised Missouri
north of Red river
west of the St. Francis
, and Indian Territory
Headquarters were established at Pocahontas, Ark.
, and the following staff officers announced: Maj. W. L. Cabell
, chief of quartermaster's department; Maj. A. M. Haskell
; Maj. R. W. Keyworth
, chief of subsistence department; Capt. W. N. R. Beall
, assistant adjutant-general
; Surg. J. J. Gaenslan
, medical director
; Lieut. Clement Sulivane
. February 6th, General McCulloch
was commanded by Van Dorn
to order two regiments of infantry, two of cavalry and one battery of artillery to proceed at once to Pocahontas
, where they would be stationed for the time being.
The appointment of Major-General Van Dorn
to the command of the Trans-Mississippi district was no doubt made in order to bring about harmony of action between the Missouri
troops, or, rather, between the commanders of the respective forces, the soldiers being on the best of terms, and their sympathies alike in many respects.
were eager to advance against the enemy wherever they could find him, and were equally indignant at the cruelties of war inflicted upon the once prosperous and happy districts of Missouri
, which the enemy had invaded and ravaged.
They were sorry they could not have a chance at Fremont
, who had induced the large enlistment of Germans in the Federal
,’ as they were called all alike—immigrants lately from a strange land, but eager to precipitate themselves into a conflict growing out of questions that were supposed to be settled and compromised in the formation of the government that offered them an asylum.
They were principally from the servile grades of their