penitentiary at Huntsville
, under the control of the State
government, was busied in manufacturing cotton and woolen cloth, and made each year over a million and a half yards of cloth, which under the direction of the government was distributed first, to supply the soldiers in the army; second, the soldiers' families and their actual consumers, with the restriction that not a yard be sold to retailers and speculators.
This provision was a great aid to the families, as it added to private domestic production.
The military board, established by the legislature on the 11th of January, 1862, with Governor Lubbock
, Comptroller C. R. Johns
and Treasurer C. H. Randolph
as its officers, all of them long and closely identified with the people of Texas
and fast friends of their well-being, had procured from Mexico
before November, 1863, over 40,000 pairs of cotton and woolen cards, to be supplied to Texas
families for home use, at greatly reduced cost, by which the people were saved thousands of dollars.
The general commanding the district of Texas early in 1862 commenced, through agents, the purchase of cotton and the transportation of it to Mexico
to purchase arms, cloth and the munitions of war, and this was kept up during the war. On November 21, 1862, General Hebert
issued an order prohibiting the exportation of cotton, except by the authorized agents of the government.
In February, 1863, General Magruder
also issued similar orders, but in April afterward gave instructions much more favorable to the business of transporting cotton.
Notwithstanding that, however, there continued to be some embarrassment experienced by the State
in this branch of business.
By authority of the general commanding, workshops for the manufacture of articles useful in the service were established at Tyler
and at various other places.
there was a distillery, superintended