It was under command successively of Colonel Allen
, Colonel Anderson
and Lieutenant-Colonel Border
(and another officer at the surrender, whose name is not obtained). These operations at Tyler
are mentioned because of the means of information available.
With similar means of information in regard to other places in the State
, doubtless a vast amount of military operations could be described, of which no account can be given.
The military board for three years from the time of its creation did a large amount of business of varied character.
In January, 1862, they appointed agents who bought for them 3,659 bales of cotton, and their purchases of cotton were largely increased afterward.
The cotton was transported to Mexico
, and used in the purchase of cotton and woolen cards, arms, munitions of war, and machinery of different kinds.
On the 11th of April, 1862, John M. Swisher
, of Austin
, was sent to Europe
with $300,000 in United States
bonds to purchase munitions of war and supplies for the board.
On April 29, 1862, John M. Moore
was sent to Mexico
on a similar mission, and it was agreed to place in his hands for that purpose from 2,000 to 4,000 bales of cotton.
The board established a gun factory and a cap factory at Austin
, in his message of November 2, 1863, stated that ‘the foundry at Austin
has not been a success in making cannon, but has done great good in repairing threshing and reaping machines and other agricultural implements
and mill machinery.
This establishment has supplied the wants of the percussion cap factory, which is now in successful operation.’
On the 12th of April, 1864, a new military board was established by the legislature, by the appointment of the governor and two citizens, Jas. S. Holman
and N. B. Pearce
, with the same powers as those conferred on the old board.
In November, 1864, a joint committee of the legislature, composed of Spencer Ford, of the senate, and M. W. Baker
and Ed. Gibbons
, of the house, made a report of