The battle of Poison Spring, April 18, 1864, was fought by the divisions of Marmaduke, Cabell and Maxey. The latter, brought by Maxey from Indian Territory, was composed of Gano's Texas brigade, under Col. Charles De Morse; Walker's Choctaw brigade, under Col. Tandy Walker; and Capt. W. B. Krumbhaar's battery. General Maxey was in command on the field. The Texans and their comrades were victorious. ‘To the indomitable energy of Captain Krumbhaar in carrying his battery over ground almost impassable and the subsequent working of his battery,’ said General Maxey, ‘much of the success of his division was due. The Texas brigade did its whole duty, fighting as Texans know how to fight.’ Colonel De Morse, commanding the brigade in battle, reported that he had 655 men, including Krumbhaar's battery, Twenty-ninth Texas cavalry, Maj. J. A. Carroll; Thirtieth, Lieut.-Col. N. W. Battle; Thirty-first, Maj. M. Looscan; Captain Welch's company, Lieutenant Gano. Colonel De Morse warmly commended the services of the officers, and reported that the men behaved with great coolness, ‘firing as though hunting squirrels.’ The entire loss of the brigade was 3 killed and 28 wounded, among the latter Major Davenport and Lieutenants Gano and Hoffman.
Army of Northern Virginia.
Hood's Texas brigade in 1862 was at West Point, Va., May 7th, opposing the landing of Franklin's Federal division. General Whiting, commanding a Confederate division, reported that his line, composed of three Texas regiments, supported by other troops, ‘had driven the enemy fairly before it for over if miles through a very dense forest, in which it was impossible to see over 30 or 40 yards. The coherence, discipline and bravery of the troops were conspicuous.’